Friday 6 July 2012

Family Development Theory


Family Development

This theory deals with the changes that families go through over a period of time. It also deals with the transitions that a family makes as it moves through the series of stages or events. The stages includes: The beginning family which includes husband and wife with no child or children. Each family should go through this stage. My family is at this stage which is my family of procreation which is also a childless family. The average length of this stage is 2 to 3 years however; some families never leave this stage while others take a longer time in this stage. This is also the preparation stage for the childbearing family where there is wife/mother, husband/father and infant(s). My family of origin went through this stage already and I am looking forward to this stage as it will make me feel fulfilled to carry on the life cycle of my own family. The average length in this stage is two years. Moving on to stage three the family with preschool children, then stage four family with school age children, stage five family with teenager, stage six family as launching centre. My family of origin is still at this stage as I have launched out and my little brother is still at home along with his son. Stage seven is the family in middle years and finally stage eight the aging family. My mother’s family of origin is at this stage which is my grandparents they are now coping with bereavement and living alone as they have recently lost a daughter. In the family development theory each stage has its own specific tasks. These tasks change over a period of time leading to another stage at times. This theory is focused on the traditional nuclear family. Many persons argued or this theory is critised that not all family goes through this order rigidly and even if they go through the stages the average time may be longer than some. I believe that each family will go through at least a few of these stages but not all and some may go through the stages faster than some. I believe that stages do not have any strict order and some may come become the other. In addition it is of my belief that you will eventually go through the stages even if you have to reverse at times.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that all family go through most of the stages that the developmental theory speaks about.Yes some will not leave stage 1 while as Angeleta state it will last for some people 2 to 3 years or even more depend on the couples goal.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.